WHAT IS A DENTAL IMPLANT?
Dental implants are becoming an increasingly popular method for replacing missing teeth.
In this procedure, titanium supports are surgically fused with your jawbone, and act as an anchor for naturally looking porcelain crowns. Dental implants are not only used for individual tooth replacement, but can also be used when replacing multiple teeth as an alternative to dentures.
Advantages of dental implants
- Implants are extremely natural looking
- Fusion of the implants into your jaw make them very stable and comfortable compared to traditionally dentures
- They last a lifetime
- Bacteria doesn't "stick" to implants so they can never get decay, which normally leads to failure of dental work on natural teeth.
A dental implant tooth will never feel discomfort.
Dental Implants are safe and virtually pain free to have placed.
Disadvantages of dental implants
- The process of getting implants can be time consuming and requires multiple visits to the dentist
- There is a chance the surgery might fail (less than 3% of the time)
Types of implants
Your dentist will be able to tell you which of the three types of implants is right for you:
Root form implant:
This is the most common type of implant where the screw is shaped like the root of a tooth. These are used to replace single teeth, multiple teeth, and dentures.
Plate Form Implant:
A plate form implant has a flat and long shape and is better suited for a narrow jawbone.
In some cases where there is not enough bone width or height for the root form or plate form implant, a subperiosteal implant may be prescribed. This type of implant is designed to sit on top of the bone, but under the gums.
Ask Dr Lamers about cutting edge procedures such as "All-On-4" for same day teeth replacement, also offered here.
This young lady wanted her smile to match her wonderful personality. We gave her 6 dental implants in 1 procedure to replace missing canine, premolars, and molars (she requires a Sinus Lift surgery before the last molar can be replaced). She now smiles with confidence and is very happy with Dr. Lamers & staff for giving her smile back.